Probable Essay Topics for UPSC Mains 2017 Essay Paper/Probable essay topic for UPSC 2017/Essay topics for IAS exam/Essay for UPSC exam
The Essay Paper is one of the nine papers in the UPSC civil services mains exam. It is called Paper I and is out of a total of 250 marks. Here, you will have to write essays on given topics. You have to write two essays in 1000-1200 words each. You can choose one topic out of 4 given choices. This article gives you a list of probable important essay topics for UPSC 2017 mains exam. Do remember this is not an exhaustive list of current affairs essay topics for UPSC exam.
Generally, relevant topics are those which have made headlines the past year. Current affairs topics which have brought about major changes in the country or affected lives in a significant manner, issues which shook the nation and so on provide fodder for the UPSC to frame essay questions.
Also See | UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam: List of Essay Topics of Past 15 Years (1993-2015)
Expected Essay Topics to prepare for IAS Mains 2017. (Only topics are mentioned. Questions could be framed by the UPSC on them):
Essay topics for IAS
- North-eastern India. Special attention needed.
- Nuclear power plants in India. Whether India should focus more on them, etc.
- Attack on Africans in India.
- Farmer suicides.
- PM Modi’s agricultural schemes.
- Prohibition on liquor and its effects.
- 100% FDI in ecommerce.
- Freedom of expression versus nationalism.
- Digitisation and Indian democracy.
- Pros and cons of 2017 Union Budget.
- Pollution in India. Environmental crisis.
- India’s responsiveness to natural disasters like flooding, etc.
- Make in India.
- Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
- Beef politics.
- India against terrorism.
- Energy security in India.
- Syrian crisis.
- Jallikattu protests in Tamil Nadu.
- Intolerance debate in campus.
- Social media versus conventional media.
- India’s educational system.
- Relevance of Gandhi today.
- Pros and cons of a cashless economy.
- Relevance of SAARC today.
- Relevance of BRICS.
- Water disputes between Indian states.
- Value education in India and corruption.
- Trial by media.
- Tiger conservation in India.
- Development and Green India.
- Poverty and crime.
- “I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.” (Albert Einstein)
- Inclusion of women in the armed forces. More combat roles for women.
- Superstition in India.
- Is socialism relevant?
- “Good fences make good neighbours.” (Robert Frost)
- Freedom of press in India.
- India’s role in the changing global order.
- Poverty and gender equality.
- Beti Bachao.
- “If you educate a man you educate an individual, but if you educate a woman you educate a family.” (Kwegyir-Aggrey)
- Juvenile crime in India.
- Crime against women in India.
- Should there be priority for India’s space missions amidst pressing issues like poverty, unemployment, etc.?
- Corruption in the armed forces.
- Scrapping of the Planning Commission.
- “No country for old men.”
- “The death of dogma is the birth of morality.” (Emmanuel Kant)
You can also go through BYJU’S Editorial Roundupsection where relevant editorials from newspapers are given date-wise. Also given are probable essay question based on these editorials. This will surely aid you in your essay paper preparation.
For tips on how to prepare for essay in UPSC exam, click here.
Also read how to prepare essay for UPSC | 10 Things to keep in mind while writing an Essay for UPSC Mains
Go through our tips on how to write essay in UPSC exam and attempt writing essays on the probable topics given in this article.
Visit BYJU’S Website forstrategy and articles on free IAS prep and all the latest on UPSC IAS exam.
Download UPSC IAS Mains Essay Question Papers 2009 to 2018. Get UPSC Civil Services Exam Previous Year Question Papers for UPSC IAS Mains Essay Paper Preparation.
UPSC Mains Exam is just around the corner, and students are looking for quality study material, which they can refer for their preparation. UPSC Mains Essay Paper is very important and needs extra attention.
Practising on previous UPSC Essay Question Papers, is one of the most significant step in civil services exam preparation. Hence SuperProfs has taken this initiative to provide UPSC Mains Eassy Question Paper of previous year i.e., 2017 and all previous years prior to 2017 question papers to keep all the IAS aspirants geared up for civil services exam 2018, as this will give an idea about the IAS Essay question paper (UPSC Mains Question Paper) pattern.
To download Other UPSC Previous Years Exam Papers- Click Here
This page contains links for free download of previous years UPSC Civil Services Mains Essay Exam Question Papers (IAS/IPS) from 2009 to 2016. So, download IAS paper of the previous year.
Download UPSC Mains Essay Question Papers from 2009 to 2017
Download UPSC Essay Paper of Previous year
Beyond Previous Years UPSC Essay Question Paper, students also need help with- “How to prepare an essay and some previous topics asked in upsc essay writing ?”.
Civil services mains essay paper is for 250 marks. Students have to write two essays, choosing one from each of the Section A & B, in about 1000 to 1200 words. Each section consists of four essay topics. Three hours’ duration for upsc mains essay paper.
Practising writing is the key to crack UPSC Essay Paper, in UPSC Mains 2018 exam. Students need to time themselves, while they write. You can take help of the above UPSC Previous Years Essay Papers to help yourself with essay writing.
Civil Services Essay Question Paper Syllabus
CIVIL SERVICES MAINS ESSAY PAPER SYLLABUS (paper 1): Candidates may be required to write essays on multiple topics. They will be expected to keep closely to the subject of the essay to arrange their ideas in orderly fashion and to write concisely. Credit will be given for effective and exact expression.
What is an Essay?
A short piece of writing on a particular subject. An essay is a piece of writing that methodically analyses and evaluates a topic or issue. Fundamentally, an essay is designed to get your academic opinion on a particular matter. Many students get confused about the word ‘opinion’ in academic writing, and think that academic writing should just stick to reporting the facts and forget about opinion altogether. However, there are important differences between an academic opinion and a personal opinion, and it’s important to grasp these when you’re putting together an essay: Writing a great essay is not about simply surveying and re-telling existing ideas. Instead, a good essay takes into account various opinions and points of view and puts forward an argument that reflects the writer’s informed opinion. Before you begin planning any essay, then, it’s crucial to have a clear idea of what you think about your topic; you need to have a position, argument, or clear stance on a topic, that you defend with evidence and argument.
Sample questions in CIVIL SERVICES MAINS ESSAY Question PAPER
- Be the change you want to see in others (Gandhi)
- Is the Colonial mentality hindering India’s Success
- GDP (Gross Domestic Product) along with GDH (Gross Domestic Happiness) would be the right indices for judging the wellbeing of a country
- Science and technology is the panacea for the growth and security of the nation
So, in this article, we have provided UPSC Mains Essay Question Papers to help you with UPSC Mains 2018-19 preparation, i,e., IAS Paper of Previous Year and all previous Papers. Keep practising, and all the best!!
Few Important Links for UPSC Civil Services 2018 Preparation-
Click Here to Watch FREE Demo
UPSC Mains Admit Card
Best Reference IAS Books for prelims